Join Lara Jones, co-owner of Southwest Portland Martial Arts & CrosssFit Hillsdale (and formerly Upper Westside Play Gym) with this short & sweet Very Beginning Ukulele series, for those just starting out with the instrument. Classes meet for one half hour a week for three consecutive weeks….just to help participants become familiar with how to hold & handle the instrument, basic strumming, picking, chords, and very simple songs to take home with them. Lara will point you towards local resources with excellent music instructors, youtube channels, books, and uke jams – so you can easily continue on – once done with this series! This class is intended primarily for adults, but we are open to mixed ages, granted participants are able to stick with instruction throughout these short lessons. With children, it will be best for ages 7+. Any child b/w ages of 7-12 will need an adult chaperone to sit and work/learn alongside them please. This counts as two people attending. If children are not able to stay with instruction, we kindly ask families to remove the child please, just so others will still be able to learn.
At first, lessons do not take very long because everything is so new; your brain & body will only be able to take in a little bit at a time. In order to progress, you will need to attend a quick lesson or three, and then go home and practice those rudimentary skills over and over again before you will be ready to take on more! That being said, we can stay on for a little while after each class to offer more, for those who are wanting that.
- What to Bring: A standard (soprano) ukulele, a tuner (Hum Strum Drum in Multnomah Village sells both) and a positive attitude…this will be fun! Ideally, any adult/child teams would each have a ukulele of their own…but sharing is allowed if unable to locate/borrow a second uke.
- Dates: Sundays 3/3, 3/10, 3/17 @ 5-5:30PM (with time to linger afterwards if you like)
- Cost: $15 for the series, per person.
- Where: We will meet in Hillsdale at Southwest Portland Martial Arts & CrossFit Hillsdale @ 1509 SW Sunset Blvd (facing Cheltenham St). Check website for map/directions: www.southwestortlandmartialarts.com
- Q’s? firstname.lastname@example.org